Sunday, July 5, 2009

I’m on the bus to Oxford returning from the 4th of July weekend in London and I have to say this has probably been my favorite city so far; not exactly as quaint as Venice but enchanting nonetheless. I’m not sure if it was the company (Patrick is here!) or the fact that I got to plan my own itinerary, which included waking up at 10 am rather than 7 am.

 

How we packed so much into three days is beyond me. I think my favorite thing we did was probably watching a trial at the Old Bailey, now called the Central Criminal Courts. It was entirely un-touristy but that’s probably because it’s just too boring for most tourists to care to see…regardless, I thought the entertainment abounded. We sat in bleacher like wooden seats above the courtroom, situated to protect the anonymity of the witnesses but with a full view of the judge, attorneys, and defendant. The attorneys, who have to wear sweeping black robes and powdered white wigs, were a little archaic. The case we saw was outrageous to say the least and hearing the old men, in their full get-ups, reading some of the defendant's statements was beyond hilarious, especially with the British accents. 

Friday we took advantage of the theater-deprived youth of London, who have apparently caused the government to implement free theater tickets to anyone under 26. Hoping to entice the boys to join, I chose a WWI play at Hampstead Theater. Little did I know that Act II would take an decisive twist when two of the soldiers suddenly locked into a passionate kiss…..

 

Continuing the weekend’s theme, I forced a couple people to join me in my own “Independence Day” parade on Saturday…London’s Pride 2009. Photos to come.

 

Nerd Alert:

We also crammed in the National Gallery as well as the London Museum and the British Library. The Library is 2nd in the world only to the Library of Congress in the US and contained two original Gutenberg bibles, the original Alice in Wonderland, Jane Eyre, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, and Magna Carta. I was in heaven. 

Today, we went to a hidden gem known as Roxy Bar and Screen. I found it online and am so glad we decided to try it out. It turned out to be amazing. It’s a “movie theater” aka posh bar with giant projection screen complete with leather couches, candles, and low coffee tables. They had a free showing of the Wimbledon finals today and we had so much fun watching it with the locals. 


Wishing I had BBQ to top it all off, 


Kaitlyn 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! The most famous criminal court in the world! I read about the double jeopardy case you mentioned...
    http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/news/former-footballer-jailed-under-double-jeopardy-la-19249904.html
    You did a fabulous job creating your own study abroad London itinerary!

    ReplyDelete